Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Matryoshka Doll

Where in the World? Russia

There is a type off doll that most little girls and family know about and may own, although many do not know the name for this type of doll or the story behind it. These Doll's are called the Matryoshka (coming from the Russian word for Grandmother) Doll or otherwise known as the nesting doll. This is a set of dolls, each smaller in size then the next. They all fit inside each other as shown on the picture to the right. They are usually made of wood, and come in sets of 5. Most have intricate designs that are representative of Russian culture. Usually the largest doll is a woman, and the smallest is a baby however they may range in gender and design. They often follow a specific theme or traditional Russian dress. The Martyoshka dolls first came about in the 1890's. They were first carved by Vasily Zvyozdochkin and designed by Sergey Malyutin.

For more information and history click HERE.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when I was little I had a toy like that, but of course I had no idea it symbolic something. My toy was wooden just like those but it was like green beans. It was weird but I always loved them! It’s very interesting how the Russians came up with it. What’s the story behind this toy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Ashley on this, when I was younger this would be one of the toys that fascinated me. I could stare and marvel for hours when my parents would put one toy into the other and vice versa. I was completely shocked, it is very impressive to see how the Russian's came up with the idea of the toy and how it became so popular in the world. I would also like to know what the story behind this toy, but I am more impressed with the transgression of the toy throughout the world, spreading through all of our cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also remember seeing these dolls as kid and its really interesting seeing where they actually came from, I never would have thought they came from Russia.

    ReplyDelete