Monday, December 13, 2010

Blue Jeans

Where in the World? America

One example of popular culture is Blue Jeans. These are durable pants made from a blue tinted cotton fabric. They were first created for people who were working in the 1894 California Gold Rush. They used to only be worn by workers but in the 20th century. In the 1950's people thought that the young men wearing these were rebels. They were being worn all over the world, but still remained to be an American invention. The fabric denim was originally from a town in France named de NĂ®mes (which was shortened to denim), and died dark blue so that workers pants would not show any dirt. They were invented by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss. In 2005, Americans spent more than $15 million dollars on blue jeans! I bet you never really thought about where the items in your closet originated.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I guess I never really thought about where the blue jeans originated and why. This is like one of those unnecessary but yet interesting facts to know. I did not even know that these jeans were originally used for the men who worked in California during the Gold Rush. Who would have ever thought that these simple working jeans would someday become the leading trend in fashion and the inspiration for many ohter types of jeans. I guess you do learn new things everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you in ap human geo or something because alot of the things you talk about in your blogs are adressed in that class. but yeah you never really realize how many things are popular cultures because the united states is kind of popular culture itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really interesting to me because I never really thought about where Jeans originated and it's very fun to finally be informed. I can't believe they originated because of something like the Gold Rush, it is interesting to think that something that is fashionable and common today was actually invented for workers planning on striking it rich. I am glad this taught me something new because if I wouldn't have had the luck of wandering about your post, I would have never learned something like this.

    ReplyDelete