Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Halloween part 1 (Mexico)

                                                                            Where in the World? Mexico
I was talking with my friend today about the upcoming Halloween holiday and I started wondering about how other country's celebrate this holiday. Mexico's Halloween leads up to the Day of the Dead. In Mexico people have picnics on family members graves as a day of remembrance on Halloween. It is a day of celebration and happiness for many. They bake bread, and make candy in Halloween shapes such as a skull or skeleton. Their version of trick or treating is kids running around the streets with lanterns asking for coins. To guide the souls of the dead home they light up their homes with lanterns or bonfires. This tradition goes along with some other holidays remembering the dead, including  Dia de los Muertos, and Fiesta de las Santas Animas. 



1 comment:

  1. I've heard about this a few times but knowing more helps me to better understand it. I find it really weird that they would have picnics on their families graves. I also see it as somewhat disrespectful. Wouldn't you think? I love the way they trick- or- treat though!! I wish we could go around collecting money! There would be a lot more houses with their lights off trying to indicate that they don't celebrate Halloween if we did do it!

    ReplyDelete